Earlier this year, TFI selected the 2020 4R Advocates, and this year’s winner represent 215,006 acres of farmland in 22 states, including two new geographies – Pennsylvania and Texas – and two new crops – cotton and sugarcane.
The 2020 Advocates are:
- John Hundley and Eric Hopkins, Hundley Farms, Belle Glade, Fla.
Tim Stein, Wedgworth’s Inc., Belle Glade, Fla.
- Brian Ryberg, Ryberg Farms, Buffalo Lake, Minn.
Mike Welter, Central Region Cooperative, Buffalo Lake, Minn.
- Jeff O’Bannon, Morgan-O’Bannon Family Farm, Madison, Mo.
Todd Ragsdale, Nutrien Ag Solutions, Paris, Mo.
- Mike Kurek, Susquehanna Orchards, Delta, Pa.
Tim Hushon, The Mill, Red Lion, Pa.
- Jeremy Brown, Broadview Agriculture, Inc., Lubbock, Texas
Taylor Allison, Eco-Drip Irrigation, Abernathy, Texas
The Advocates gathered for the first time at Commodity Classic in San Antonio, Texas, in February, where they got off to a strong start in advocating for adoption of 4R practices. Here’s a sampling of some of their outreach efforts:
- Texans win award with drip irrigation system, Texas Farm Bureau
- The Fertilizer Institute Continues Advocating 4R Nutrient Stewardship, Brownfield Ag News
- Iowa farmer advocates responsibility, 4Rs, Iowa Farmer Today
- 4R Nutrient Stewardship program shares data to prove value to farmers, ESN Smart Talk