4R Advocates are agricultural growers and retailers who are leading the way when it comes to using 4R nutrient stewardship on the farm. 4R nutrient stewardship provides a framework to achieve cropping system goals, such as increased production, enhanced environmental protection and improved sustainability. To achieve those goals, the 4R concept incorporates using the right fertilizer source, at the right rate, and the right time and in the right place.
In recognition of their efforts, The Fertilizer Institute (TFI) recently named five grower/retailer pairs to win the accolade and receive an all-expense paid trip to the 2013 Commodity Classic, held in Kissimmee, Fla., at the beginning of March. The grower and retailer pairs were also honored at an awards ceremony hosted by TFI. Additionally, these advocates will be part of TFI’s outreach efforts to promoted science-based nutrient stewardship practices based on its 4R initiatives.
While at the Commodity Classic, each of the growers and retailers were interviewed and discussed implementation of 4Rs in their own cropping systems and servcies. The footage was used to create a video highlighting how the 4Rs help enhance environmental protection, increase productivity and farmer profitability, and inprove sustainability. To view the video, click here.
The grower/retailer pairs also spend time with us in the 4R Nutrient Stewardship booth in the exhibit hall. There they were able to engage other growers and discuss their use of the 4Rs with Commodity Classic attendees. The awards banquet took place at Sea World in the shark exhibit and was attended by representatives from several of our 4R Partners and Stakeholders.
The winners were nominated by their retail dealers who are also recognized with 4R awards. The 2013 winners and links to their 4R Advocate Profiles are as follows:
• Rick and Jesse Brunner of Fifth Generation Farms in Almira, Washington; Nominated by Josh Bafus with Crop Production Services;
• Alan Jones of Jones Potato Inc., in Parrish, Florida; Nominated by Dennis Coleman with Crop Production Services;
• Alan Madison of Madison Farms in Walnut, Illinois; Nominated by Mark Orr with Ag View FS.;
• John Scates of Pat Scates and Sons Farm, in Shawneetown, Illinois; Nominated by Mike Wilson with Wabash Valley FS.; and
• Justin Stoneman of Stoneman Farms, in Breckenridge, Michigan; Nominated by Steve Wendzel with Wilbur Ellis.